Brain CancerAlso called: Glioma, Meningioma
There are two main types of brain cancer. Primary brain cancer starts in the brain. Metastatic brain cancer starts somewhere else in the body and moves to the brain. Brain tumors can be benign, with no cancer cells, or malignant, with cancer cells that grow quickly.
Brain tumors can cause many symptoms. Some of the most common are
- Headaches, usually worse in the morning
- Nausea and vomiting
- Changes in your ability to talk, hear or see
- Problems with balance or walking
- Problems with thinking or memory
- Muscle jerking or twitching
- Numbness or tingling in arms or legs
Brain Cancer CausesAs with tumors elsewhere in the body, the exact cause of most brain tumors is unknown.
The following factors have been proposed as possible risk factors for primary brain tumors, but whether these factors actually increase an individual's risk of a brain tumor is not known for sure.
- Radiation to the head
- An inherited (genetic) risk
- HIV infection
- Cigarette smoking
- Environmental toxins (for example, chemicals used in oil refineries, embalming chemicals, rubber industry chemicals)
Exams and TestsIf findings of a medical interview and physical examination suggest to the health-care provider that a person may have a problem in the brain or brain stem, additional tests may be done.
- Many people will have a CT scan of the brain.
- This test is like an X-ray but shows more detail in three dimensions.
- Usually, a harmless dye is injected into the bloodstream to highlight abnormalities on the scan.
- These include analysis of blood, electrolytes, liver function tests, and a blood coagulation profile.
- If the person has mental-status change as the main symptom, blood or urine tests may be done to rule out drug use.
Brain Cancer TreatmentTreatment for brain cancer should be individualized for each patient. Treatment regimens are based on the patient's age and general health status as well as the size, location, type, and grade of the tumor. In most cases of brain cancer, surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy are the main types of treatment. Often, more than one treatment type is used. The treatment types are further described below.
For more information, medical assessment and medical quote
as email attachment to
Email : - email@example.com
Contact Center Tel. (+91) 9029304141 (10 am. To 8 pm. IST)
(Only for international patients seeking treatment in India)